Sunday, January 19, 2014

Singapore Day 1: Texas Chicken Review

Throughout the 4-hour Cebu Pacific flight to Singapore, I went through alternating dementias of drowsiness and hunger. I dozed off when sleepy, munched on my bag of carbs (pan de sal) when hungry, drank carefully from our limited water source. I was still hungry upon landing. My first taste of Singapore was technically cool water from Changi Airport's drinking station for free. This gave me my first impression of Singapore – clean and efficient. Again, I'm not taking low-cost aircraft anymore for more than 2 hour flight. I took a 2-hour flight in Cathay Pacific to HK last November 2012; thinking back, I wouldn't mind if it were for 3-4 hours because I was busy tinkering my personal backseat-mounted monitor.

Thankfully, Santa Grand Hotel Chinatown was gracious enough to let us leave our baggage an hour before the 10 AM check-in time. So hungry but we needed to move. A train ride from Chinatown MTR station to Harbour Front station did not take much time; I was not delirious from hunger yet upon arrival to Vivo City, Harbour Front. Let me share my Texas Chicken Singapore Review. I had the chance to visit Texas Chicken when I was in Singapore. 


Texas Chicken Review: Sjora Upgrade

While at the ordering counter of Texas Chicken, Mr. DQ and I noticed an ad that said “Every Friday is now Sjora Day”. I had no idea what Sjora was, but the ad described it as a fusion of mango and peach that’s simply refreshing. They were right. Texas Chicken Sjora was refreshing indeed!

The place did not have glass window panels like other restaurants; it just opens for customers to walk in. This setting was pretty advantageous for Texas Chicken because passers by could see that there are free seats. It was easier for us to move around and look for a place to have our lunch. 



Texas Chicken Review: (From Top left, clockwise)
Tex Wrap with mashed potatoes and Sjora, El Paso Meal: 2 pc. Chicken with fries and soda, Extra fries (because we thought we were that hungry) 

We ordered Texas Chicken Tex Wrap meal with mashed potato. Sjora juice upgrade to 16 oz. for FREE on Fridays until July 26, 2013. Mr. DQ had 2 pc. hot chicken wings with fries. We ordered an extra meal: 1 El paso meal consisting of 1pc. chicken with fries and regular Coke. One peculiar thing in Texas Chicken Singapore was one condiments that are not usually seen in other places: Heinz Chili Sauce. I have not tried it, may be next time.


Texas Chicken Review: Tex Wrap

We were too full, we even took remaining fries to go. I’m glad that we put off adding biscuits to our Texas Chicken meals because despite my inclination to sweet stuff, I couldn’t even manage a bite anymore at that time. 

I did not have the chance of visiting Manila's Texas Chicken branches when the franchise opened its branches in Manila. I can only compare Texas Chicken Singapore to Church's Chicken Manila, which is also now gone in Manila. I remember visiting Church's Chicken in SM MOA a few years before, but the taste and experience did not make an impact on me. We had a snack/dinner because my family and I were starving and it was the only place not packed with people. Mr. DQ's taste buds gave Texas Chicken Singapore a nod after recalling how Texas Chicken was in Manila back then. I'm so going to try the biscuits when I see one. So long Texas Chicken biscuit, saving you for my next visit. 

Likes:

• Free Sjora 160z Upgrade
• Chicken was large, tender and flavorful is within the chicken breast part
• Chicken wrap has big chunk of chicken in it
• Soft and chewy tortilla bread
• Friendly and competent cashier/server
• Large Fries serving - we realized that it was far too much when we struggled to crush our box of fries
• All these for only SGD 17 

Dislikes:

• I would have liked more veggies in the chicken wrap 
• I want seasonal Sjora free upgrade season (So that I can long for it and have it when Sjora Season comes)
Keywords: Texas Chicken, Singapore, Texas Chicken Review, Sjora, Sjora upgrade, Church Chicken, Church's Chicken

No comments:

Post a Comment