Friday, June 6, 2014

Hong Kong: Tim Ho Wan (添好運) - Cheapest Michelin-starred Restaurant - First Visit

Lunch Time at Tim Ho Wan (添好運), Central, IFC Mall, Hong Kong

One of the most awaited restaurant opening in Manila this year was Tim Ho Wan (添好運). I heard that it is well known for its Pork BBQ Buns (酥皮焗叉烧包) and it is by far, the cheapest michelin-starred restaurant in Hong Kong. I just had to get my hands on them. There were several occasions when I was near Tim Ho Wan (添好運) branches during my visit last February in Hong Kong, but my attempts of dining in any of Tim Ho Wan (添好運) branches in Hong Kong remained futile, until the very last hours before our flight to Manila. I saw for myself that people really do line up for a 'yam cha' (飲茶), lunch or dinner during peak hours at Tim Ho Wan (添好運), I did not bother to go near.

Tim Ho Wan (添好運) dessert counter, Central, IFC Mall, Hong Kong

I just had to had a piece of it! So, I went to Tim Ho Wan (添好運) dessert counter, a couple of stalls away from Tim Ho Wan (添好運), Central, IFC Mall, Hong Kong.

Coconut with red bean cake, Tim Ho Wan (添好運)

It came with a disposable fruit spork, the cake was yummy and light, the consistency is more of a jello or pudding. I liked how the taste of the coconut dominated, no overwhelming sweetness from sugar. It passed my wobble test, though it needs more body to save it from falling into tiny pieces.

Last day in Hong Kong, we had an early luggage check-in at Central, IFC Mall , Hong Kong. What else is there to do in Hong Kong in the midst of a winter day in February, but to EAT! I was sitting idly on the benches before the flight to Manila, when I was reminded that Tim Ho Wan (添好運) had a branch downstairs. I quickly went down the escalator to check it out. 

Hooray! there were less people and I was able to come to the cashier's table, where the pieces of order form were displayed. I found myself ticking 2 orders of the well-known BBQ Pork Bun (酥皮焗叉烧包) or 'Char Siu Bao', as they call it.

BBQ Pork Bun (酥皮焗叉烧包), Tim Ho Wan (添好運)

As you can see, I already ate one even before I remembered to take a picture of these golden buns. The bun was sweet, crispy and pastry-like. The texture and taste of the bun reminded me of the topping found in Pineapple Buns (菠蘿包) - another tasty treat found in Hong Kong local bakeshops.

BBQ Pork Bun (酥皮焗叉烧包), Tim Ho Wan (添好運)

BBQ Pork Bun (酥皮焗叉烧包), Tim Ho Wan (添好運)

BBQ Pork Bun (酥皮焗叉烧包), Tim Ho Wan (添好運)

I heard that people are also lining up just to get a taste of these BBQ Pork Buns (酥皮焗叉烧包) in Tim Ho Wan (添好運) branch in Manila, Philippines, maybe when I go to Manila next year.

My palette had always been delighted in every food stall and restaurant that we visited or passed by in Hong Kong. I was surrounded with my kind of comfort food, from a wide selection of Dim sum and all sorts of hot Cantonese dishes, pure ecstasy is what I call it. It surely is my kind of food, my kind of town.

Tim Ho Wan (添好運) Review

Likes:
- Light and crispy bun and sweet savoury pork filling
- Creamy coconut texture of the dessert
- Set price is insanely affordable, given the quality of the food

Dislikes:
- I declare that one order of 3 BBQ Pork Buns (酥皮焗叉烧包) is not for sharing because having just 1 is not enough, 2 makes me happy, having 3 makes my day.
- Mandatory 3 hkd for refillable tea servings (You can always take the food away if you are not a tea person)

Price:
BBQ Pork Bun (酥皮焗叉烧包)  around 17 hkd = approx. 72.8 php
Coconut with red bean cake around 11 hkd = approx 61.6 php


Verdict:

A winner!
I dream about my next visit to Tim Ho Wan (添好運)
I have observed that prices might slightly vary per location, I will verify this. Nonetheless, food items are in an average price of 14 to 20+ hkd.
When comparing the price range alone of Tim Ho Wan (添好運) Manila and Hong Kong, fixing one's Dim sum cravings in an authentic dining place in Hong Kong is much exciting and affordable.


Keywords: food, Tim Ho Wan (添好運),  BBQ, BBQ Pork Bun, Pork Bun, Char Siu Bao, Char Siu Pao, hong kong , dimsum, yamcha, 飲茶

No comments:

Post a Comment