Monday, August 19, 2013

Kagay-anon Restaurant, CDO

Mr. DQ and I met our local friend to fill up our tummies with local goodness. We met at Gaisano mall and were supposed to have seafood nearby, but we've heard so much about the local cuisine at Kagay-anon that we decided to visit the place.

The winding staircase to the second floor, which led to the second entrance of restaurant. I could have been a showstopper and asked everyone to take pictures with me along the charming backdrop, but I was more enticed to see what lies on the other end of the staircase.

We were quickly greeted by local waitress and waitresses. "Kuya" (local term for older brother or a casual gesture for respect for someone's seniority). We ordered fruit shakes, Melon for me and Mr. DQ, which I easily gulped down into half a glass - reminded myself to save some for dinner.

First up was the Kinilaw na Tuna (Raw tuna in vinegar). Despite touches of sourness and a hint of chili, each bite-size piece easily swam its way to my tummy.



Likes: Serving presentation, Fish was fresh, Lemony and Chili taste, Smooth finish
Dislikes: It might be spicy for someone's liking

Another Our other appetizer was Guso Salad. The bits of bell pepper, ginger and onion were pretty. I found myself digging in for the seaweeds. My verdict: Umami! It was like experiencing the sea in my palette. If I didn't know any better, I might have mistaken the sauce as the sea water itself.



Likes: Umaminess
Dislikes: Raw taste of bell pepper and ginger

 We came for an adventure that includes having a taste of the well-known ostrich meat. Pardon my amateur attempt to capture Kagay-anon's Ostrich Salpicao. I was already drooling with hunger and still mouthful of Guso, but I'm pretty sure that we all paused a bit to acknowledge its arrival to our table. I could remember the wafting steam of banana leaf and garlic. I was surprised that the meat tasted like beef and it went very well with steamed rice, the garlic chips gave it an extra ooomph.



Likes: Meat was tender, garlic chips
Dislikes: I want a larger serving 

We ordered Grilled Tuna just in case we couldn't have enough seafood. It flakes off when the meat is forked apart.



Likes: Flakes off the bone

A touch of pork to cap off our evening; the Pork sisig was hot, a bit spicy and saucy. This dish made us go for another round of rice servings. Sizzling pork on a hotplate, this completed our evening.



Likes: Sauce that goes well with steamed rice, a hint of chili
Dislikes: I was looking for that extra crunch from chicharon


We could not retrieve the official receipt issued to us. We were able to experience Kagay-anon for Php 1.6 k. We only noticed the old pictures of Xavier College and its church behind us when we were about to leave. Among locals and tourists, I specifically enjoyed the Filipino themed- restaurant that is somewhat similar to Manila's local Barrio Fiesta and Kamayan. If I ever get to visit again, I will try out some vegetable dishes and local delicacies.

No comments:

Post a Comment